This an update to the boat mover dolly I created in 2014:

After some repeated use I discovered that the bicycle tires I free-cycled were not coping well with the combined weight of the dolly and boat. The tires were starting to buckle, and one of them had a slow rim leak.

The threaded 1/2″ shaft I used was not sufficient either – it was bending under the weight load, causing the tire to rub against the chassis.

I decided to upgrade the wheels and the shaft. I used wheelbarrow wheels from Princess Auto, along with a 3/4″ iron shaft. I also added a tow mount at the front so it could be moved effortlessly by our lawn tractor.

Total cost for this upgrade was about $120 – most of the money was spent on the tires; even though they were on sale. In Ontario, they charge you a tire recycling tax, …I paid $5 per tire, so that was an extra $15 in expense. Ridiculous!

Below are images of the upgrade, and a video of the finished product.

Bicycle tire and threaded shaft buckling under the weight load
New wheelbarrow tires from Princess Auto
New wheelbarrow tires from Princess Auto
new wheelbarrow tires and 3/4 inch shaft
new tires and 3/4 inch axel shaft
3/4 iron shaft for front tire
Securing new shaft and tires to the boat dolly axel
Height difference is the same, decent ground clearance
Height difference is the same, decent ground clearance
Front tire fits nicely
Installation is done
New tow hook for boat dolly
Finished project - upgraded boat dolly