Service Engine Soon – Saturn SW1 EGR valve

Today I took off the EGR, and found that it had a lot of carbon build-up on the pintle. The pintle was having problems operating – a.k.a. obstruction from going up and down due to the carbon build-up. So I cleaned it up with carb cleaner, an old toothbrush, Q-tips, and a crappy old rag. I also paid attention to keep the carb cleaner from leaking back into the upper electronics – I kept it on a downward angle the entire time. I then re-installed it. Total time was about 45 mins.

I cleared the codes with the scanner, and took it for a 10-12 minute drive – both highway and city.

So far, no SES light has come on – the true test will be the everyday driving we do throughout the week.

I’ll keep you posted…

EGR valve clean-up EGR valve clean-up EGR valve clean-up EGR valve clean-up EGR valve clean-up EGR valve clean-up